We believe that the death of Adrian Anderson was a case of first-degree murder. We believe that his killer was none other than his sister-in-law, Kathy Anderson. Kathy not only had various motives, but a way to commit said murder. Overall, she is the most likely to be guilty out of any of our suspects.
Kathy’s motives are simple enough to figure out. As made clear from her Twitter account, she is a family based person. It was even confirmed in the informal interview with her husband that she forced him to stop participating in the Ironman and raise a family. She disliked that Ethan, her son, was so close to Adrian. She made it clear that she had little to no respect for her brother in law and didn’t want her son idolizing the man. She’s gone as far as to say Ethan was “too attached” to the him. She had been patient with their close bond until Ethan revealed that he wanted to take over his uncle’s shop. Both of his parents had been hoping it would just be a summer job before he started university, but Ethan wanted it to be his business. Kathy didn’t like Adrian as a person and believed he would have a severe negative effect on her son, possibly ruining the boy’s life. We believe the final straw came when Kathy found out that Adrian was using amphetamines to win Ironman and involving her son. Kathy would do anything for her family, even if that meant crossing one of them off.
We know that Adrian died of amphetamines overdose. The effects of an overdose and the symptoms he showed before he died consistently match with those of someone on amphetamines. He was hallucinating (thinking he had crossed the finish line when he hadn’t) and loosing his balance. Though it is typical for someone in the race to begin acting like this, it made no sense for Adrian to. He is a decorated Ironman champion who has been through this sort of race various times before. He would not be stumbling at this point. The question is, how did Kathy get it into his system?
It can be assumed that Adrian may have been taking amphetamines voluntarily. They’re a performance enhancing drug that would help him with both the energy and stamina that would be required to complete Ironmans. Due to the fact he was so close to Ethan, he could’ve easily had his nephew fill up his bottle with what he needed, and since Ethan is easily accessed by Kathy, this would give her access to the bottle an easy way to add more so Adrian overdosed. He overdosed during the race and had a heart attack, making the death seem like it was of natural causes.
There’s a substantial amount of evidence to back this theory up. We can confirm that his water bottle had amphetamines in it due to the results of the Toxicology Lab. The pH levels of his water and the pH levels of the amphetamines were the same. To add on, every symptom he showed throughout the race was consistent with an overdose. As stated above, someone with as much as experience with the Ironman would not be struggling as much as Adrian had been.
Kathy herself can easily be tied to the bottle. In Fingerprint Analysis, it was shown that she, Ethan and Adrian all had fingerprints that could be found on the bottle. This holds up with the theory that Ethan was preparing Adrian’s bottle and Kathy came across it. Both the mother and son had very light fingerprints, possibly to avoid someone identifying them. Kathy didn’t want anyone to identify her because of the fact she was indeed committing murder. Ethan, on the other hand, didn’t want anyone to attach him to the tampered bottle.
Tension between the two can be easily detected. Through Twitter, it can easily be decided that there was a major fight going on within the family. Both Aimee (Adrian’s sister and Kathy’s sister-in-law) and Kathy had been talking about the importance of Family all over Twitter. Kathy talked about how Adrian had a problem of making trouble and alluded to Adrian potentially making their family problems worse. She said that she didn’t want Ethan spending time with such a “toxic presence”. (We can assume that “sweetie” is her son because in a previous tweet she referred to Pierre by his name.) Adrian talked about feeling betrayal, which we believe meant that his betrayal had some from somewhere within his family; namely, Ethan. The two had gone out for coffee prior to his death, with Ethan sending a text claiming they needed to talk. Adrian also received an anonymous text message saying that they knew what he did. This may have been Kathy who sent this out of pure anger.
The final argument for this case is based around something Kathy said at the Informal Interview. She said Adrian “could have died at a more convenient time.” This shows that obviously didn’t care much about his death at all, and how she has disassociated his death with any emotions. It makes sense for her to regret his death from a financial point of view, however. Kathy is a high powered tax attorney who is well versed with the law. Upon Adrian’s death, his partial ownership of the Lee building was split between his two siblings. This means that Kathy and Pierre inherited about 1/8 of the building to sell. The timing of this transaction was unfortunate due to the fact they had to sell immediately afterwards. If they had been in ownership of this part of the building for a year, their tax rates would’ve been much lower and they would’ve made more money. The only way she showed remorse about her brother-in-law’s death was due to finance.
There was some minor incriminating evidence elsewhere, but most of it added up to nothing. The obvious tensions between Adrian and Ivy were just a genuine disliking of each other; there is no evidence tying Ivy to the crime. Omid did really want Adrian to sell and was openly happy about his passing but like Ivy, there is no evidence of him being involved with the crime. This fact is similar for Kevin and Pierre; motivations can be found (Kevin wants to sell, Pierre holds a general disdain) but no evidence.
The most incriminating of the group after Kathy is Wilson Park. Outside of his shop, a coffee pot was found to have arsenic in it. His fingerprints and DNA matched to said pot. However, we have no proof Adrian ever had any coffee with/from Wilson. To add on, Adrian showed absolutely no signs of Arsenic poisoning.
Overall, Kathy is the one perpetrator that makes the most sense. It is highly likely that she was the one who murdered Adrian.
- Ethan (son) was closer to Adrian than his family
- Kathy didn’t think of him as a fit role model and thought Ethan was “too attached”
- She didn’t want her son inheriting Adrian’s shop
- Adrian potentially gave his water bottle to Ethan to fill up
- This would give Kathy, Ethan’s mother, access to the bottle
- She found out that Adrian was getting Ethan to add amphetamines to his water
- Kathy added a higher number of amphetamines to his water thinking that he wouldn’t be able to figure out the difference between his usual dosage
- He overdosed and died during the race
- Toxicology Lab
- The water bottle he was using during the race held consistent with the pH levels of amphetamines
- The symptoms he was showing during the race (hallucination (thinking he had crossed the finish line), loss of balance (though typical at that int in race, adrian was famous champion who would not be that tired towards end of race)
- Fingerprint Analysis
- Both Kathy and Ethan’s fingerprints were found on Adrian’s bottle
- Kathy and Ethan’s fingerprints were both very light, potentially to avoid the possibility of someone identifying that they had something to do with the bottle
- Text Messages
- In their secret language Ethan tells Adrian that they need to talk about something
- This something could be that Kathy has figured out that Adrian was using Ethan to handle his steroids
- He also got a message from a restricted number saying that they know his secret. Kathy could’ve just figured out that Adrian did what he did and sent that message out of anger. She had enough sense to send it through that number.
- It was mentioned throughout in Kathy’s interview that she thought “Ethan idolized his uncle too much.” This confirms that she didn’t like Adrian or the fact that he was a role model towards Ethan
- It was also said in Ethan’s interview that he wanted to take over Adrian’s store but Kathy (and her husband) did not support it
- Kathy said he could have died at a more convenient time; she and her husband inherited half of Adrian’s part of the building and Aimee inherited the other half. Because they are selling right away, the tax they pay is much higher than it would’ve been if they had been in ownership of the building a year ago. They don’t make their maximum profit
- There was fairly obviously some sort of fight within the family
- Aimee was obviously a mediator
- Kathy said that Adrian had a problem of making trouble
- She also hinted at that (potentially) Adrian made their family problem worse and she didn’t want Ethan spending time with him
- Pierre was called by his name, reasonable to assume she calls her son sweetie
- After his coffee with Ethan, Adrian could’ve felt betrayed that he let his mom find out about the steroids and said that he couldn’t trust him again.
- pumped up could possibly mean on the amount of steroids he had specified to ethan
- DNA Analysis
- There was some obvious tension between Adrian and Ethan’s family if Pierre spit on his brother’s face
- The obvious tension between Ivy and Adrian doesn’t lead anywhere. There is nothing tying her to the crime in specific, all we can confirm is that they disliked each other.
- Omid obviously wants the building but no direct hatred towards Adrian can be found.
- Wilson Park and Kevin Xu both really want to sell, but, once again, they cannot be tied to Adrian’s death
- DNA Analysis
- There is proof that Wilson Park used the coffee pot but there is no evidence Adrian ever drank out of the coffee pot
- Fingerprint Analysis
- We know Ethan, Adrian and Kevin used the coconut water jug but there was nothing found in said jug
- We know Wilson used the coffee pot but again, no proof Adrian drank out of it
- Toxicology Lab
- Arsenic in coffee, no proof he had coffee, showed no symptoms of arsenic poisoning
- Informal Interviews
- Amid really wanted Adrian to sell but no proof tying him to crime
- Pierre held a grudge towards his brother and a disliking, but can not be linked to murder directly