Today, I continued building my water hammer energy collector. Because this was the second to last FSL session, I began as soon as I arrived at Science World. Before beginning anything else, I reassembled the prototype device (which I had to dismantle in order to fit in my bag) whilst removing the servomotor as well as the voltmeter. It turned out that my original 3D model for the motor casing could not be printed easily, so I redesigned it (making it more compact) and separated the top portion to avoid any overhangs. This was because the 3D printer could not easily handle overhangs and it would make the motor casing much more rough-looking. It was at this point that everyone stopped what they were doing on their project and presented a 90 second presentation on their original projects and research projects. This was practice for the final get-together, where we each have to present in front of parents, science world staff and friends of FSL. The presentations went along fairly well, but we will definitely need to practice some more before our presentations.
Once the presentations were finished, I got back to work right away. I sketch out a line along which I would cut the device (to make it more compact) and measured everything to make sure I would still have enough space to mount everything. I first cut away a portion of the stand holding the piston, before taking a break to work on the magnet shaft. I removed the original glue and replace the strips of cardboard with wood, which would not compress quite as much. As soon as the magnet shaft was complete, I began sawing away at the base of the device. I got about halfway through sawing, before we had to pack up. I plan on finishing quite a bit this weekend, which will only leave me the motor to put back together next session, before the device is complete. I look forward to seeing the device in action!